Investigating El Nino Southern Oscillation as the main driver of forest fire in Kalimantan

Brasika, Ida Bagus Mandhara and Antara, I Made Oka Guna and Karang, I Wayan Gede Astawa (2021) Investigating El Nino Southern Oscillation as the main driver of forest fire in Kalimantan. Geografia : Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 17 (4). pp. 305-320. ISSN 2180-2491


Official URL:


Strong El Nino events have been identified as major factors contributing to the forest fire in Indonesia. This is due to El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) variability has a distinct connection with tropical precipitation, mainly in Indonesia. El Nino years are typically drier, while La Nina events generally increase precipitation in Indonesia. Although very strong El Nino events have been connected with massive forest fires, fire continue to occur during the other phases of ENSO: La Nina and normal. Here, the research reports a time series of monthly counted fires in Kalimantan between the period 2001-2020 from MODIS fire hotspot and MODIS Burned Area products. The region is divided into three categories, Primary Intact Forest, Primary Degraded Forest and Outside Forest/ Deforested area. This categorization validates the location of the fire. Our results show that in general wildfires in Kalimantan follow a similar temporal pattern with Oceanic Nino Index (ONI), with several anomalies. If ONI is high, wildfires are more intense and vice versa. The wildfire appears almost every month and increases drastically in June-October of El Nino years. However, the proportion of wildfires in Primary Intact Forest are tiny and insignificant. The primary intact forest fire only appears in July-October and have a different pattern with wildfires in general. In conclusion, wildfires are highly correlated with El Nino but limited in primary intact forests. The fires dominantly appear in the deforested area, about 80%. The rest 20% are in degraded forest and only less than 1% in primary intact forest.

Item Type:Article
Keywords:Deforested; Degraded forest; ENSO; Forest fire; ONI; Primary intact forest
Journal:Geografia ; Malaysian Journal of Society and Space
ID Code:18212
Deposited By: ms aida -
Deposited On:08 Mar 2022 03:41
Last Modified:14 Mar 2022 00:57

Repository Staff Only: item control page